Monday, December 27, 2010

Cataclysm Healer Pawn Scales for 4.0

Do you Agonize over which piece of gear to equip?

Let the Pawn addon decide for you!

Building on the idea that Blizzard has already optimized the gear itself for the item level, these pawn scales will help you choose the optimal gear for the job.

These pawn scales should scale as you level as long as you keep upgrading your gear to your character's level. If your toon is undergeared, you will run out of mana too soon or not be able to outdo the incoming damage on the tank.

( Pawn: v1: "Balanced": Intellect=1, CritRating=1, HasteRating=1, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )

If you're soloing as a healer, just add in some stamina so you can take those extra hits:
( Pawn: v1: "Solo": Stamina=1, Intellect=1, CritRating=1, HasteRating=1, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )

For testing, I use the DrDamage addon to guestimate total healing done until out of mana.

In every situation -a different tank, a different instance: You will have to decide if you will need harder, better, faster, stronger, or longer-lasting heals.

Anytime I'm healing a tank that, well sucks, as in I'm running out of mana healing him or I need to heal faster, then I just copy the pawn scale and tweak that stat that I need more of *usually by 10* like these:
  • ( Pawn: v1: "Harder": Intellect=1, CritRating=10, HasteRating=1, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )
  • ( Pawn: v1: "Better": Intellect=10, CritRating=1, HasteRating=1, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )
  • ( Pawn: v1: "Faster": Intellect=1, CritRating=1, HasteRating=10, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )
  • ( Pawn: v1: "Stronger": Intellect=1, CritRating=1, HasteRating=10, MasteryRating=10, SpellPower=1, Spirit=1 )
  • ( Pawn: v1: "Longer": Intellect=1, CritRating=1, HasteRating=1, MasteryRating=1, SpellPower=1, Spirit=10 )

Of course, as a healer that loves doing the best healing possible I will spend many many minutes tweaking these numbers between random groups for the optimal values, so every time I can roll need with a quick look if the loot is better.

Any feedback? :) 

3 comments :

Protiguous said...

Be sure to check out the level 81 shaman post!

Unknown said...

I haven't used pawn in a long time, but I am curious - aren't the values listed in the Pawn code relative to each other? You've given equal value and weight to INT and SPI, for example. As a priest healer, I had a situation where I had a +40 INT item and a +20 INT +20 SPI item. Your scales would give them equal value, no?

Protiguous said...

Yes, the values are relative. The Balanced pawn scale is what I start with when I create a character. As new gear comes in and my char levels, I adjust the values according to what my instinct/gut/math tells me is better.
In your example of +40I vs +20I +20S, I know that in cataclysm intellect would be more valuable, so I would tweak the number for +40 INT gear until it just *barely* gives a higher pawn value than the +20I +20S piece of gear.

I find that my paladin, priest, shaman, and druid all tend towards different values because they heal differently. (Pally tends to +int, priest to +spirit, shaman to +crit, and the druid.. well I'm not sure about him :P )